Pages

Thursday 3 November 2011

Pen Sketch Possum

Another quick pen sketch done last month. I used a photo of a Brush Tailed Possum I took while on a weekend trip with a dear friend in 2009 as a reference.



Years ago, we rented in an old house, in an old suburb that was becoming popular again. So, as the developers were knocking down the homes around us, ours became a  magnet for all the creatures they displaced.

Noisy little critters I might add. I cant even begin to describe the horrible sound they make when they fight among themselves. Scared the life out of me the first time I heard it.

By the time we had to move, there were five living in various places in our roof and garage. No small thing, considering they are solitary, and territorial by nature.

There was a small entry area at the back door, overhung with branches, where we started feeding the little female, fruit. Bananas and sultanas were a favorite.

Much to our delight, she would come down and take our offerings from our fingers. She even let me touch her one day. I've never in my life felt anything, so thick and soft as her coat.

Of course, in the end that house was redeveloped too, and I still wonder what became of all those Possums.

2 comments:

  1. what a great drawing! I have a totally different view of possums but I think our possums here in the USA are different. Ours are nasty little creatures that are so ugly that they are cute. They have a long rat like tail. They make a horrible hissing sound if provoked and it is hilarious to see them "play dead" when they are scared. We have them all around here too, as we live in the country. But I have to say baby possums are the cutest things.

    I wouldn't want to touch one, they are vicious and have very sharp teeth! Ours look like they are losing their hair and it sure doesn't look soft... hahah

    what different creatures these sound like :) but yours sure looks cute in your drawing.

    xx Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaime, your possums sound like real characters. I know what they look like because I love the Ice Age Movies. Our Possums are adorable looking, but not good to have living in the roof. They can be noisy and destructive. I loved having them around, though. People sometimes put boxes in trees as homes for them. (keeps them out of theirs lol).

    ReplyDelete

Add some Sunshine to my day

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...